[DWJ] Feeling sorry for Penelope (was Fire and Hemlock Question)

Ika Willis blake at gaudaprime.co.uk
Mon Aug 21 09:37:55 EDT 2006

Me (quoting Russ from *Dancing on Knives*), then Rene:

> About Cinderella:
>
>>she becomes the centre of someone else's universe
>

> But isn't it wrong to teach this to little girls?  These girls grow up
> looking for this prince who just doesn't exist for most people ... Then
you end up
> with
> a woman like Ivy (F&H) who bought into all the cultural myths about being
> female.

Well, that's why I like the discussion in *Dancing on Knives*: it seems to
me that 'wait around for a prince because that's your only purpose in
life', which I agree isn't the greatest message for kids, is a very
different thing from 'you are not the most important person in the world
to your parents, but one day you *will* be important to someone'. I like
the idea that the Cinderella story is trying to teach children that they
deserve to be loved, which seems to me to be crucial - because otherwise
you end up with a boy like Cat (Charmed Life), letting Gwendolen use his
powers because he doesn't have enough sense of what is *his* to stop her.

I agree that the problem with Cinderella is the 'You deserve to be loved'
message is expressed, probably not very usefully, through layers and
layers of 'Someday your prince will come', though.

Love, Ika