[DWJ] Feeling sorry for Penelope (was Fire and Hemlock Question)

Sally Odgers sodgers at iinet.net.au
Thu Aug 17 22:57:47 EDT 2006

----- Original Message ----- > From: Melissa Proffitt <Melissa at Proffitt.com>
 Besides, I think Odysseus is already a little bit of a pig.  :)

> Melissa Proffitt
> (who feels sorry for Penelope)

Isn't it interesting the way virtues are seen to change over the centuries?
Penelope's faithfulness was seen as a virtue, whereas we tend to look at
Odysseus and think he wasn't perhaps worth waiting for.

I use a Cinderella Graph to teach plotting to kids... but caution that she's
a very oldfashioned protagonist. Her virtue is seen in cheerful acceptance
and goodness, whereas by our standards she's reactive, not proactive.

She is presumably a young adult (marriageable), yet she slaves for her
stepma instead of going off to get a maid's position where she'll be paid.

She doesn't ask the Fairy Godmother where she's been through her sad
childhood... why turn up now the girl is an adult?

She doesn't protest the 12 o'clock thing.

She doesn't give the prince her name, address and mobile number.

She doesn't seek him out - HE does all the glass slipper stuff. She didn't
even leave it behind on purpose!

Sallyo.