[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock Question

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Aug 17 17:31:06 EDT 2006

Rene replied to me...

>>From: "Dorian E. Gray" <israfel at eircom.net>
>
>>Polly does actually succumb to Laurel's spell (by saying "yes, all right,
>>I'll forget him" - and then unconsciously twists it by adding the clause
>>"just leave me alone"), and only later manages to *break* it (probably
>>because of the "leave me alone" clause and the fact that Seb didn't).
>
> hmm, I missed this completely- what keen insight!

Why, thank you!

I've been thinking about "Fire and Hemlock", and especially its ending, for
about 20 years now (ever since I bought it when it first came out).  We've
had a couple of good discussions on it here, and you can find both of them
in the archives, complete with my very lengthy thoughts and several other
people's equally lengthy thoughts, rebuttals, amplifications, etc.

I envy you for getting to write a whole thesis on this book.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"I will not trust you, I,
Nor longer stay in your curst company.
Your hands than mine are quicker for a fray;
My legs are longer though to run away."
-Wm. Shakespeare, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"