[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock Question

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Aug 16 14:14:19 EDT 2006

Melissa:

>Laurel is way too powerful to be Calypso, I think.  I like her better for
>Circe--turning men into pigs seems analogous to the way she uses people up,
>makes them less than they are.  Even so, I wouldn't stretch the analogy too
>far.  Besides, I think Odysseus is already a little bit of a pig.  :)

I don't think Calypso is that much less powerful than Circe, though I
wouldn't bet on it.  Certainly a huge difference between them is that
Calypso has to be forced to let Odysseus go by the intervention of
the gods - despite his determination to leave, while Circe lets him
go freely once he asks.  Which I think he has to be prompted to do by
his men - the hound (or pig, as you say).

Hallie