[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock Question

Wed Aug 16 12:57:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 16:44:48 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>But no!  Laurel's Calypso - not Mary Field.
>(Though maybe I should save that for arguing with
>the again (but only temporarily) email-less
>Charlie...)

Laurel is way too powerful to be Calypso, I think.  I like her better for
Circe--turning men into pigs seems analogous to the way she uses people up,
makes them less than they are.  Even so, I wouldn't stretch the analogy too
far.  Besides, I think Odysseus is already a little bit of a pig.  :)

Melissa Proffitt
(who feels sorry for Penelope)