[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock Question

Charles Butler charlescbutler at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 16 09:57:51 EDT 2006

Rene

  >Jackie, the above mentioned mentor (and thesis director), asked me to
consider Polly's similarity to Odysseus being his escape from Aeaea, Circe's
island where his men were turned into pig, because Odysseus forgot
everything for a while when he was there (hope I got that right).

  I don't have a copy of the Odyssey to hand, but I don't think he forgot in a magically-induced way, did he? My memory is that he was just having such a good time with Circe that he let the thought of Ithaca slip to the back of his mind for a while. Maybe the difference isn't important, though.

  Polly and Tom keep swapping roles, of course, and my first thought would be that, as far as the Circe episode is concerned, it's Tom who plays the role of Odysseus - escaping the goddess to whom many before him have succumbed. (This fits better still if you look at Circe through the lens of Renaissance figures based on her, such as Tasso's Armida and Spenser's Acrasia, who are seductresses as well as enchanters of the men they encounter.)

  Which leaves the question - is Calypso Mary Field?

  Charlie (only able to check my email sporadically atm)

Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk