[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock Question

Rene Fleischbein rene_fleischbein at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 16 03:17:54 EDT 2006

Greetings All,

My esteemed mentor suggested I post a question-

As some of you may remember I am writing my thesis on _Fire and Hemlock_.
At one point I talk about the similarities between Polly and Odysseus.  I
write:

"Forgetting and then remembering is Polly’s Siren-song. As Odysseus broke
the spell of the Siren-song by listening and not responding, Polly breaks
Laurel’s spell by forgetting and then remembering."

Jackie, the above mentioned mentor (and thesis director), asked me to
consider Polly's similarity to Odysseus being his escape from Aeaea, Circe's
island where his men were turned into pig, because Odysseus forgot
everything for a while when he was there (hope I got that right).

I appreciate any shared opinions on this and if you think I've totally
missed the mark, don't hesitate to say so.

Cheers,
Rene