[DWJ] Why does Christopher travel with the gypsies inCF? (mildspoilers)

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Aug 10 14:31:47 EDT 2006

Quoting rohina at shaw.ca:
> >>Which brings up another question: does Tacroy have multiple lives? He
> >>often meets Christopher there in LOCC. If Tacroy has a single life,
> >>there must be other way to get to the Place Between AKA the World
> >>Edge.
> >
> >No he doesn't.  His one life is back home in London, with a musician who
> >plays to anchor it.  This means (among other things) that he cannot
> >manifest bodily in the worlds he visits - Christopher has to drink his
> >chocolatl, for example - and cannot perceive the form of the world-edge
> >(rocks, streams etc.)
> >

> But part of Tacroy is with the Dright in World 11. Is this the reason he
> can spirit travel?

Perhaps, but he also has an anchor in Christopher's world (body, music).
Otherwise once Christopher restores Tacroy's soul then Tacroy would no longer be
able to spirit travel, right? I mean, beyond zipping home to his body after they
all escape the Dright. Does Tacroy ever spirit travel again? I would like to
think he does, in spirit, helped by his own strong magical powers.

I think DWJ makes clear the difference between spirit travelling (Tacroy) and
traveling between worlds (Christopher, Millie, Mother Proudfoot) in LoCC. It's
murkier in CL because she hasn't yet worked it out so carefully. Gwendolen
needs to travel in both body and spirit, which is why she both uses Cat's life
for the power and sets in motion the series of Replacements--there must be
something left behind in this case.

I also think in CF that Christopher uses the Travellers because they are
accustomed to all the probability shifts, something he and Millie both had some
trouble figuring out.