[DWJ] Why does Christopher travel with the gypsies in CF? (mildspoilers)

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Thu Aug 10 04:22:13 EDT 2006

Now I remember! You're right on both points. Christopher takes his
excised life with him (on a chain around his neck)  so Gabriel can't
track him. And he can't get to the Place Between without leaving a life
behind. (Millie used Asheth as her second life when she travelled in the
Place Between.

Which brings up another question: does Tacroy have multiple lives? He
often meets Christopher there in LOCC. If Tacroy has a single life,
there must be other way to get to the Place Between AKA the World Edge.
Tacroy always has somebody playing music to his body while he spirit
travels and he seems to use the music to find his way back to his body.
Perhaps the music serves the same purpose as leaving a life behind.
Perhaps one needs some sort of trail to get out of the Place Between
because it all looks the same -- although Christopher can let the place
push him back into the world where he belongs.

Either way, there seems to be some kind of connection to one's home
world. Perhaps Christopher had to travel in a way that would leave no
connection, and travelling with the gypsies was a way to do it.