[DWJ] Why does Christopher travel with the gypsies in CF? (mildspoilers)

Belben, Philip (Energy Wholesale) Philip.Belben at eon-uk.com
Thu Aug 10 04:12:09 EDT 2006

Juliette wondered:

> In CF, Christopher travels with a group of gypsies to travel between
> worlds. Why doesn't he go via the Place Between? It would be a lot
> faster and he wouldn't have to rely on anybody else to help him do it.
> Presumably he has not lost that ability, so does he not use it because
> it is difficult to find a specific world when travelling that way? But
> he can feel Millie's presence, so surely he could step into a world,
> say "no she's not here" and then move on to the next world. And in
> LOCC, he would set out intended to visit a specific world and go
> straight there.

When he goes via the Place Between, Christopher leaves a life behind in
his (comatose) body at home.  Gabriel would know instantly that he was
world-hopping, and might by now even have a way of tracing him by
examining the body.  If Christopher really wants to give Gabriel the
slip, he needs a method of travel that takes all his lives with him in a
way that Gabriel can't easily trace.

I wonder.  Gabriel did something with Christopher's last spare life:
removed it from his body and hid it.  With only one life attached to his
body, can Christopher use the Place Between that easily now?  (There may
be something about this in Lives, I can't remember - does Christopher
travel in this state and notice his body looking thin and washed-out or
something?  Particularly vulnerable if so.)

Philip.
our prior permission is prohibited.

represent those of the E.ON Group.

Coventry, CV4 8LG.
Registered in England & Wales No. 2366970

Coventry, CV4 8LG
Registered in England & Wales No. 4178314

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432