[DWJ] Howl's dissertation on spells

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Sun Apr 30 19:24:46 EDT 2006

On Apr 30, 2006, at 5:07 PM, Emma Comerford wrote:

> At 07:16 AM 1/05/2006, Elizabeth Evans wrote:
>> Philip said:
>> (Curious piece of linguistic shuffling.  Over here you do a
>> dissertation for your master's, and a thesis for your doctor's
>> degree.  In the US it's the other way around.  For some reason.)
>>
>> Here in New Zealand you do a thesis for your masters and another
>> thesis for your PhD. A dissertation is regarded as more like a rather
>> long essay.
>
> Thesis for both here in Australia, although I think some (older?)
> people call a thesis a dissertation.
>
> Emma

Hmmmm.  In my part of the USA [Michigan for this discussion], what
you did for a masters might be either an essay or a thesis.  Basically,
an essay was worth three credit hours and did not necessarily involve
proving anything.  A thesis was worth more -- at least six -- and had to
_be_ a thesis, but it didn't have to be original.

For a doctorate, you do a dissertation which must have an original
thesis.

All clear now?

There is no point in being Irish if you don't understand
that the world is going to break your heart someday.

                             - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
                                on the assassination of John F Kennedy