[DWJ] Howl's dissertation on spells

Kyra Jucovy klj at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Apr 27 10:12:41 EDT 2006

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> Or anthropology or sociology, discussing who uses spells, and where, and
> why, and what  they mean to them... There are all sorts of interesting
> dissertations on magic, aren't there!
> Jennifer

Now that I've started thinking about the topic, it actually is kind of an
interesting one.  The other thing I wonder is whether Howl could do magic
before he started working on his dissertation and picked it because he had
special access, or if he started learning how to do it for real while
working on his dissertation.  I think the latter would make for a really
good story - and makes working on a dissertation, quite frankly one of the
most off-putting ideas I can imagine and the main reason why I'm getting
an MA and not a PhD, sound a lot more appealing.  I would love to, say, be
doing a dissertation on the use of magic in DWJ books and through that
process get invited to be a Magid ;-).

						---Kyra

---
Holly Sargis: "Sometimes I wished I could fall asleep and be taken off to
some magical land, but this never happened."
				---Terrence Malick, _Badlands_