[DWJ] In passing...

Mon Apr 24 15:38:08 EDT 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:10:35 -0700, sally at sallyodgers.com wrote:

>Is anyone else slightly, dog-in-the-mangerishly, teed off that Howl and
>Sophie have been DISCOVERED by non-readers? I know it's mean, but I have
>always had HMC as equal-1st on my Top Ten Ever list, and now it's become...
>well, almost like having HP (not sauce) there.
>
>Sulk.

I always get sulky when complete newbies tell me all about this AMAZING and
WONDERFUL discovery they've made, like it didn't exist until they read it.
As happy as I am that the movie has made HMC more visible, I almost wish it
was my own little secret only to be shared with like-minded individuals
again.  What do you suppose that means?  Is it purely arrogance to want to
be part of a small, select group?  Or does it change the meaning of the
story (or the experience of reading the story) to have it shared so widely?

As I was typing the above I had a thought--if reading certain books makes
you part of a select, private group, then shared knowledge of those books is
a password that helps you identify others of the group.  If suddenly a lot
of other people know about the password, you don't know anymore who's really
"one of us" and who isn't.  I'm hurrying to get this down as I have to pick
up a sick child from school, so there's overtones of elitism that I don't
think are relevant here.  Mostly I wonder if it's not like an invasion by
others who haven't earned the right to join the group--because avid reading
in general and reading of speculative fiction in particular does make one
appear peculiar to others and sometimes results in ostracism of all degrees.

Melissa Proffitt
probably babbling, but what else is new