[DWJ] In passing...

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Apr 19 19:22:08 EDT 2006

Sallyo wrote

>Is anyone else slightly, dog-in-the-mangerishly, teed off that Howl and
>Sophie have been DISCOVERED by non-readers? I know it's mean, but I have
>always had HMC as equal-1st on my Top Ten Ever list, and now it's become...
>well, almost like having HP (not sauce) there.

I remember when everyone discovered Tolkien, and there were Hell's Angels
called "Strider" all of a sudden, and I felt horribly cheated and betrayed
somehow that *my* book that nobody else had ever heard of was suddenly
being got all wrong by people who Didn't Understand It Properly!

A bit later, there were silly people claiming they "grokked" things and
offering water to every passing stranger in Times Square, and that
affronted me too.

One ought to rejoice that a Good Thing is being spread more widely, but
it's difficult not to feel put out at one level.

>Sulk.

yeah.  I know what you mean.  Aren't we horrid and elitist?

:-(

Minnow