[DWJ] Opinion sought, and a short report from soujourn in Ireland

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Wed Apr 19 07:13:22 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:59:57PM +0800, Paul Andinach wrote:

>How is this different from downloading them, without charge, legally,
>from the Baen Free Library?

The Baen Free Library only contains the first two novels of the Honor
Harrington series and one of the short story collections. The CDs
(specifically _At All Costs_) contain all seventeen books.

Since the tone of the series does change substantially as it progresses,
I should not recommend that anyone buy the whole lot solely on the basis
of the Free Library material.

(Leaving strict fact and going to personal opinion, I find them quite
fun but not terribly well-written. The author's political prejudices
become increasingly obvious, and there are large inconsistencies between
books as he papers over technical and civic problems that became
apparent as the series progressed.)

Roger