[DWJ] Opinion sought, and a short report from soujourn in Ireland

Anna Zofia Skarzynska ania.s at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Apr 17 15:03:27 EDT 2006

-bit OT, but it is about books!

As some (about three) of you might know, I have recently invaded Ireland for
a week, accompanied by Stephen the offspring, and stayed with first Hallie
and then Dorian- for which may I hereby thank them publicly!

During said visit I did not a lot except talk and explore bookshops and
bookshelves; I also went to a museum or two and had a good old consumer fix-
believe it or not I got excited about going to Tesco! I must explain that
this was a BIG Tesco, with a clothes dept- where I live we don't have one,
nor do we have many of the high street chainstores, so I was in consumer
heaven. Dublin is full of Polish people, which was rather disconcerting;
last time I visited, I was the only Pole in the village. Well, maybe not the
only one, but I didn't encounter the other one or two then.

Anyway (I am getting to the original purpose of this post slowly) during a
visit to a bookshop near Hallie's abode I found two OOP books I try to get
everyone to read- Downtown by Tappan King and Viido Polikarpus (big echoes
of Neverwhere- but it was written in 1985!) and The Song of Gail and Fludd
by Philip Gross. Hallie ended up with these copies because I already have
both. Anyone else know these?

Another book I found in Dublin, this one recent, was Romanitas by Sophia
McDougall- set in a modern-day Roman Empire (it never fell). Pretty good so
far- am half-way through.

And (getting closer yet!) I finally got my teeth into Lois McMaster Bujold &
Miles Vorkosigan- discovery of the year, most definitely. Further orders
already placed on Amazon! I hope they arrive soon.

And (here at last!) while browsing Amazon for more Miles, I was informed
that 'readers who shopped for Bujold also bought' books by David Weber in
the Honor Harrington series. Reviewers rave about them and say they are
'darker than Miles'. Can anyone here offer an opinion before I go crazy and
buy them all?

And this is all for today. Hope you all had a good Easter break.

Ania