[DWJ] Book on DWJ

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Mon Sep 26 22:04:13 EDT 2005

It's listed on amazon UK for 50 pounds. It's not in print yet but can be
pre-ordered. Here's the synopsis:

Synopsis
British author, Diana Wynne Jones, has been writing speculative fiction
for children for more than thirty years. A clear influence on more
recent writers such as J.K. Rowling, her humorous and exciting stories
of wizard's academies, dragons and griffins - many published for
children but read by all ages - are also complexly structured and
thought provoking critiques of the fantasy tradition. This book will be
of interest to Jones's many admirers and to those who study fantasy and
children's literature. With the rise in interest in "Harry Potter",
there has been an accompanying renaissance of critical interest in
Jones's work. This book, however, is the first sustained, single-author
study of Jones's work, written by a renowned science fiction critic and
historian. In addition to providing an overview of her work, Farah
Mendlesohn also examines Jones's important critiques of the fantastic
tradition's ideas about childhood and adolescence.

Juliette