[DWJ] Book on DWJ

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Mon Sep 26 12:52:03 EDT 2005

Minnow:
> It's worth having a read of this one once you can lay hands on it, I'd say.
> I'm sure Charlie would back me up on that! There are several things in it
> that gave me a whole new set of ideas about DWJ's work.

I would indeed back you up on that. Farah shares DWJ's own abilities to work the implications of an idea through to the end (bitter or otherwise), and not to succumb to the 'fascination of habit'. Interesting that these gifts are as applicable in critical as in creative work - at least when the critical subject is DWJ.

> It's also mercifully jargon-free.

Well FM does bring in her own jargon - or to put it more positively, she uses her own set of technical terms for talking about different kinds of fantasy. But they are clearly defined and used to enlighten rather than obscure her subject, which distinguishes them from the literary jargons you no doubt have in mind. It's jargon that doesn't jar.

Charlie