Hallelujah!

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Sep 7 16:22:07 EDT 2005

Sallyo triumphed:

>It worked. Now, has anyone anything to say about "Conrad's Fate"?
>I found the ending rushed... and if Conrad couldn't stay in a different
>series for more than a few years, why could Millie?

I got interested in this very question a couple of months ago, and
eventually asked DWJ because I couldn't seem to find things in the books
that explained it.

As I understood the answer (which got involved in several other things) it
comes down to the means used to get from one world to another.  Millie does
it off her own bat and leaving a spare life of Christopher's behind, and
then using one of Gabriel de Witt's spare lives and with the co-operation
of the goddess and her priestess; that's a different matter, it seems, from
being taken through to another world as someone else's passenger.  Janet,
of course, is moved as part of a swap; that means she won't fade.  I'm not
sure about Tacroy: as Mordecai, he was sent by the Dright to Series twelve
when he was a baby, but his soul was kept in Series Eleven, and he doesn't
seem to fade in the one world he was sent to, but he can't get to any of
the others in a very corporeal way, and I think maybe Series twelve is his
real home after all that time, rather than the place in Eleven where his
soul was in storage.  I can't think of any others at this precise moment,
but those examples are reasonable?

Minnow