[DWJ] Open to suggestions

Ian Riddell iwriddell at charter.net
Sun Oct 30 15:54:30 EST 2005

On Oct 30, 2005, at 10:31 AM, J.E. Powers wrote:

>  and yes I am going to do Charlie and the Chocolate
> Factory as my book plus film option.
>
> Robyn
> ___________
>
> Speaking of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, who has seen the
> film with Johnny Depp?  What did you think of it?
>
> I found it amusing but would not take my own children to see it.
> -Jill

I loved it and I would have loved it as a ten-year old.

Depp's Wonka was definitely creepy, though. The Ooompah-Loompah songs
were fabulous. And the kids were brilliantly cast.

I'm still not sure how I felt about the resolution of the father plot
- as it was added to the movie and not in the book.

I do know that the only think that truly bothered me was the racial
issues - indentured servants being the only non-white, non-"Western"
characters. But this is a problem with the book as well. How much
trouble would it have been to cast Mike or Veruca or Violet with a
non-white kid?

Other than that, I was actually on the edge of my seat for the entire
movie. This was one of my two favorite books as a kid (along with
"Harriet the Spy") and I never really liked the Gene Wilder version.
I was very happy!

widdy

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ian W. Riddell
iwriddell at charter.net