[DWJ] Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sun Oct 30 12:46:41 EST 2005

I thought it blew the Gene Wilder version off the screen. Loved it. And this
time when the screewriters did an adaptation they added stuff that actually
*fit*.

I fell in love with the machines in the opening credits, thought the factory
exterior looked like it had been designed by Macintosh, and was amazed by the
subtle tweaking of the faces into perfect - but believable - grotesques.

That said, I'm not sure I'd take a kid who wasn't completely familiar with
the book to see it myself.

But then the book is much nastier. Depp's Willy Wonka is a *creep* but the
one in the book was an even scarier creep. The film was a lot *sweeter* than the
book.

And if Deep Roy doesn't get a nomination for best supporting actor, a cruel
injustice has been done.