[DWJ] ... and what are people reading?

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Oct 22 00:51:27 EDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

> So, hoping to hear what people have read recently and loved (or not)

What I have read recently and loved is a bunch of stuff by Phil
Foglio.

'Buck Godot: The Gallimaufry' has been on my Alexlit recommends list
(hey, anyone else here remember Alexlit?) for, like, ever, so just
lately I buckled and ordered it from the official Studio Foglio web
site (where it is v. cheap because all the remaining stock has pages
missing, but those pages can be seen free on the web site). And I
ordered some other stuff while I was there.

So I've been reading my way through the Buck Godot series, which is
rich and wondrous strange, and am also now hooked on the Girl Genius
series.

"Ha!! Watch *this*!"
"... It's a falling machine. I'm so impressed."
"Weird. It worked perfectly on paper."

Slightly less recently, I also got a lot out of the non-fiction
'Borderlands' by Mike Dash. It's a general overview of the subject of
weird things that happen to people (seeing ghosts, being abducted by
aliens, etc.) by someone who doesn't believe in ghosts, alien
abductors, etc. but feels that the subject is still worthy of study
because clearly *something* is happening, even if only in people's
heads. (He also makes an interesting point about researchers
handicapping themselves by grouping phenomena by their apparent cause
instead of their actual similarities - for instance, connecting alien
abduction experiences with strange lights in the sky when it might be
more fruitful to compare them with past-life recovery experiences that
share a basis in hypnotic 'restoration' of 'lost memories'.)

Have also read the new Harry Potter, of course. Not much to say about
that, except that it was nice to see that the (as has been pointed
out, pretty much obligatory) eleventh-hour shocking betrayal had a bit
of moral ambiguity to it and wasn't just the old lazy-writer's
stand-by of "Hah! Fooled you! He really was evil all along!".

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."