[DWJ] DWJ on University Challenge ... and what are people reading?

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 21 23:46:18 EDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:

> The Game, by Laurie King, in which Sherlock Holmes and his wife hunt
> for a missing Kimball O'Hara (from Kipling's Kim) was fun, but
> apparently the rest of the series aren't as good.

I've not read 'The Game' yet, but I have read most of the rest of the
series, and would like to suggest that if they aren't as good as 'The
Game', then 'The Game' must be very good indeed. (Fortunately, I don't
find this difficult to believe.)

> Mirabile and Hellspark by Janet Kagan. These were excellent. I
> particularly liked Mirabile, being a lapsed geneticist myself. Very
> unfair that these are out of print.

What, again? Okay, 'Mirabile' has never been reprinted that I know of,
but there was a new edition of 'Hellspark' fairly recently.
(...1998, it says here. How time flies. But it's still available, as
far as I know.)

> In The Garden of Iden- I've now read all the Company novels, and am
> waiting impatiently for Baker to finish the next one.

...am still trying to find the rest of the Company books, myself. I
got very lucky finding even 'In the Garden of Iden' (it was shelved in
the Romance section of the second-hand book shop - not the
shop-owner's fault as this was clearly what the cover designer
intended, but I'd never have seen it had I not been checking for
Madeleine Brents).

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."