[DWJ] DWJ on University Challenge ...and what are people reading?

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 19 02:34:41 EDT 2005

I've just read "Eragon" and barely made it all the way through, I was
basically bored.
"How I Live Now" by Meg Rossof was... very good, I suppose, even excellent,
but looking back I find myself feeling manipulated unfairly. Can't explain
it. I started out reading "I Capture the Castle" and somewhere in the middle
it turned into "1984".
"Airborn" by Kenneth Oppel was a rolicking good adventure story - airships
and orphans and pirates, oh my! - but I agree with critics who wrote the
book is overly cinematic. It's like reading a print version of a movie.
Still, not sure that's all bad.
I read "The Anubis Gate" in preparation for Tim Powers' visit to Israel, and
enjoyed it tremendously. Best time travel book I've ever read, hands down.
And I haven't yet decided if I am now reading his book "The Drawing of the
Dark" in Hebrew, or "Inkheart" by Cornelia Funke - I've read a few first
pages of each, waiting to see which of them grips me.
And I saw "Serenity" last Friday, managed to swing an invitation to a
preview screening (film is not yet showing comercially in Israel). I was not
dissapointed, I don't know what someone would make of it who hadn't seen
"Firefly" but my husband and I both thought it a fitting addition to the
series and a fair tying up of many  of the open plotlines, with plenty of
room to continue.