[DWJ] DWJ on University Challenge ... and what are people reading?

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Oct 18 00:44:53 EDT 2005

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:
|Not that she was a contestant on UC, just in case that was misleading, but the
|first question of tonight was which fictional character she'd described as so
|very human - making the mistakes everyone longs to make themselves, like
|telling 'the tediously garrulous Miss Bates to shut up'.  (The list of people's
|favourite characters is here, in case anyone wants to see the whole thing:
|http://tinyurl.com/7zfe8 )

Whee!  Thanks for the info.

I've been reading far too many review books -- not just the good
review books from my Good Job, which are few and far between this
time of year, but the terrible review books from my Job of
Terrible Books, and the plethora of mediocre review books from
the Job Where They Don't Take Me Seriously Enough To Give Me Good
Books.

But in the last few days, as a break, I've reread the Sabriel
trilogy.  They're really *good*, aren't they?  Though Abhorsen,
sadly, is the weakest of the three.

It amused the heck out of me when I found myself comparing Garth
Nix at the end of Abhorsen to Joss Whedon at the end of Serenity,
but I can't say why without a Serenity spoiler, which I shall put
way below.  It's not really an Abhorsen spoiler unless you're
spoiler crazy.

I liked Anansi Boys quite a bit, and will be starting Jonathan
Strange when the boy finishes it.

|I  read Holly Black's _Valiant_ as well, and at least thought it a lot better
|than _Tithe_.

It was ... okay.  If I were a teenager again, or had never
encountered urban fantasy, it would have completely wowed me.
But while it got the elements of urban fantasy down pat, the
story itself was rather weak.  I didn't see Val as growing so
much as fulfilling the requirements of her role, you know?  I'd
rather read Emma Bull.

And now, Serenity

Spoiler

Space

Big Damn Spoiler Space, Sir

I aim to leave spoiler space

Now!

When the Disreputable Dog speaks in the epilogue, telling a tiny
bit of the characters' future, it felt to me a little like the
author closing a door, making it clear that, while he was fond of
these characters, he was also completely done with them, and we
would be getting no more of these stories.  Which made me think
of Book saying to Mal, "No, I don't," speaking as the voice of
Joss Whedon, and letting the fans know that they'd not get any
more of that particular story other than what they could
extrapolate as possible.

ObDWJ: I like it when closure or lack of same is made subtle like
that.  I was never very fond of Crown of Dalemark for tying up
too many loose ends in a world I liked better less explored.
Crown of Dalemark reads more like DWJ fanfiction written by DWJ
to me than like an actual DWJ novel.  Do the fanficcers here know
what I mean by that?

-deborah
--
Kiss my ass, I bought a boat, and I'm going out to sea.  -Lyle Lovett