[DWJ] DWJ on University Challenge ... and what are people reading?

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Mon Oct 17 17:01:52 EDT 2005

Not that she was a contestant on UC, just in case that was
misleading, but the first question of tonight was which fictional
character she'd described as so very human - making the mistakes
everyone longs to make themselves, like telling 'the tediously
garrulous Miss Bates to shut up'.  (The list of people's favourite
characters is here, in case anyone wants to see the whole thing:
http://tinyurl.com/7zfe8 )

So, hoping to hear what people have read recently and loved (or not),
I'll toss out a few recent reads.  My favourite three recent books
have been _Elsewhere_, by Gabrielle Zevin (YA - 15 year old girl in a
rather different afterlife); _The Limits of Enchantment_, by Graham
Joyce (not YA, but I'd have thought it would have a fair amount of YA
appeal, and oh-so-delicately poised between obvious fantasy and other
explanations are possible); and _Everything is Illuminated_, by
Jonathan Safran Foer (which I'll not even try to describe).  I'm
nearly finished Penelope Lively's _Making It Up_,  which I'm also
loving.   I  read Holly Black's _Valiant_ as well, and at least
thought it a lot better than _Tithe_.

Up soon are _Ptolemy's Gate_, after a very nice interview in The
Guardian with Jonathan Stroud, which convinced me I wanted to read
this - though I thought they gave away far too much of what happens
in it.  Anybody read it yet? Also I'm hoping to find Lynne Rae
Perkins' _Criss Cross_ - being raved about where I heard of
_Elsewhere_, but hardcover and US only, so I may have to wait a bit.
Becca ordered _Peeps_ and that's another I'm looking forward to.

And of course _The Gate of Gods_, which should be shipping in about two weeks!

Tagging anyone who wants to play...

Hallie