[DWJ] deep secret editions

Kale lskale at ixaxis.net
Fri Oct 7 21:13:22 EDT 2005

At 01:48 PM 10/7/2005 -0400, deborah wrote:
>On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>|Is this putative project going to include editions in say Russian, and
>|Finnish, and Japanese?  Or will it be confined to English (or American)
>|Language Editions, and if so why?
>
>The putative product would include everything, everything,
>characters and all.  I still have my DTDs around; I just haven't
>worked on this since (*checks archives*)  September 2001.  Hmm.
>Guess I got a little distracted, then -- I wonder by what? :P

I thought that was what the wiki was for.  Though that would be
hard to automate.

The idea was to build a huge database with titles, characters,
>editions, links to images and reviews, etc, and then make it
>open source so anyone can do what they want with the data.  What

It would be nice to find a script that does what Book Collector does,
where you can enter the ISBN and it will go to a few bookstores to
download the information and then you can correct it as you please.

There is something called Library Thing that people have been mentioning.

I just set up an account with them to list DWJ books.

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=kale

Username is "kale"  My password is "dwjrocks" if you want to play
with it.  For free accounts,you can list up to 200 books.
I don't know if it's better to have individual accounts or to
try to put it all in one account.  It's supposed to be a community
thing, so you can see who has the same books as you, and they
can comment/tag the entries.

I've been using ISBN to enter the data, which works well for US
books and not so well for UK books, so I use a combination of
title and author for those.  They use the country's Amazon and
libraries to input the data.

Kale
(who understands laziness/being distracted as she hasn't managed
to catalog more than one shelf of books into Book Collector in the
last year)