[DWJ] Howl's Moving Castle (film)

Elizabeth Bentley elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com
Wed Oct 5 13:13:18 EDT 2005

On 5/10/05 02:10, "Jon Noble" <jon_p_noble at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
 I told my
>> mother to "bugger off".
>
> In Australia a very mild term. There was a car add on
> TV here a few years ago (which I think actually had a
> New Zealand origin) in which the only word spoken was
> "bugger" which was said many times as the vehicle
> demonstrated its strength to excess.

On another list there was a discussion about this word, where it became
obvious that many Americans simply did not know it. And its use in Orson
Scott Card's book 'Ender's game' to describe the alien species - the buggers
- almost made me think twice about stocking the book in my library!

EB
Elizabeth Bentley
mailto:elizabeth at wardrobe-on-the-web.com

School Librarians Network is a forum where UK school librarians (and MROs
and support staff) can exchange news, views and ideas and give each other
mutual support.