[DWJ] Re: Curse words

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 19:39:05 EDT 2005

Kyra Jucovy wrote:

>On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 HSchinske at aol.com wrote:
>

>>Uh -- how were they changed? I remember them all being things like "blue" and
>>"purple" (which I thought was quite clumsy and didn't like a bit). Was that
>>in the US or the British version? I *thought* I had read both!
>>
>>Helen Schinske
>>

>Yup, that's the British version.  The American edition, or, at least the
>one where you can "Search Inside the Book" on Amazon, replaces the color
>terms with things like "slimeballing," "degutted," "eyeballs-in-salsa,"
>"puke-crusted," "brains-in-gravy," "disemboweled," "zombie-burger,"
>"slimy-puke," "oozing," "slimy stomach-maggot," "curried-tonsil, "stomach
>jicing," "pineapple puking," just to quote from the first few pages on
>Amazon on which curses appear.

Yes, utterly changing the tone of the writing.
I bought Witch's Business a few months ago, got it home, opened it, and
found to my disappointment that it was Wilkins' Tooth (which is anyway
one of my least favourite DWJ's) and put it aside. If I had read as far
as the cursing I would have exploded at it: /tradittore traduttore /indeed.

Colin