[DWJ] Howl's Moving Castle (film)

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at imperial.ac.uk
Tue Oct 4 06:58:11 EDT 2005

Kale wrote:
> I think he doesn't really go for evil characters.  They might
> be antagonists and not very nice, but that doesn't mean
> they're evil.  I don't think Madam Suliman was stirring up
> the war so much as trying to win the war for the King, no
> matter what the cost.

I started out thinking that, but by the end it seemed like she was the
Evil Genius- perhaps I got confused by the scarecrow's suggestion that
the war could be switched off just like *that* <clicks fingers>, or the
way she pursues Howl with flyers. Perhaps it's the way Howl never does
reluctantly start working for the war effort, as in the book, so looking
at it from the protag's point of view, it seems like the whole war is
wrong, and thus she must be bad? Hmmm. I'm even more baffled by this
than I thought I was, and will have to watch it again. (Darn.)

> I'm reminded of the ending of Castle
> in the Air when Hasruel the Djinni explains why he did what
> he did to Howl and company:

I han't thought of that, it's a useful mind-clearing point, thanks!