[DWJ] Howl's Moving Castle (film)

Kale lskale at ixaxis.net
Tue Oct 4 06:47:55 EDT 2005

At 10:32 AM 10/4/2005 +0100, Jennifer wrote:
>Kale wrote:

*snip*

>"no, that's wrong!!", but in a good way, I think; Miyazaki was changing
>things and taking the film in his own direction rather than doing an
>uninspired one-to-one map like Chamber of Secrets. [Slight spoiler in
>footnote]  "Based on the book by DWJ" is a bit misleading, in a way;
>"inspired by the book" would give more of a feel for what it's like.
>I think at the end he'd gone off so much in his own direction that he
>then had to be a bit sudden with the ending to try and tie up the war
>plot thread from the more DWJ-esque beginning. It might have been more
>interesting to just leave it dangling and have a totally new ending!
>I thought the dubbing was good, even Calcifer who I think some people
>have found a bit obtrusive, but I really want to see it subtitled.

I've heard that Disney is planning a dvd release in spring 2006.
I was half-way through subtitling it using a combination of a bootleg
subbed file and the Japanese filmbooks and occasionally referencing
the book.  I have a terrible ear for what people mumble in English,
much less Japanese.  I might finish it  one of these days and
compare it to the Disney release.

SPOILER for the film below.

>Spoiler:
>I really don't get Madam Suliman. Was she really stirring up the whole
>war, and if so, why?? Why make her an evil sorceress when you already
>have the Witch of the Waste? I haven't seen all Miyazaki's films, but
>there is that evil witch twin/good witch twin thing in Spirited away, is
>it just a dynamic he likes?

I think he doesn't really go for evil characters.  They might be antagonists
and not very nice, but that doesn't mean they're evil.  I don't think Madam
Suliman was stirring up the war so much as trying to win the war for the
King, no matter what the cost.  I'm reminded of the ending of Castle in
the Air when Hasruel the Djinni explains why he did what he did to Howl
and company:

"....Had you been a blameless man, I would simply have
transported you to the island where my brother is now.  But I
knew you had been using yoru wizardry to conquer a neighbouring
country--"

"That's not fair!" said Howl.  The king ordered me--!"  He sounded for
a moment just like Dalzel and he must have realised that he did.  He
stopped.  He thought.  Then he said ruefully, "I daresay I could have
redirected His Majesty's mind, if it had occurred to me....."

Kale