[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

Juliette Curtis juliette at harvestroad.com
Wed Nov 23 21:56:57 EST 2005

Well, I bought the new edition of Neverwhere and am about half way
through it. I'm not wild about it. In the preface, Neil Gaiman said this
version uses material from the script, the US and UK editions, and other
bits that he liked. The book is longer but, IMO, the extra text has
slowed down the pace too much. There are some repetitive sections,
others that seem to be included just because NG liked them, descriptions
of incidents that belong in the background of the story but don't
advance the plot, and some bits that are good for evoking atmosphere but
slow down the actions such as lots of scenes of Vandemar eating things.

This version is too wordy. A good editor would trim it a lot and the
book would be better for it.

Juliette