[DWJ] Living Famously

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Nov 22 05:44:50 EST 2005

Paul reported:

>Tom Holt reveals in one of his books that there's a special place in
>Hell reserved for people who tell authors that "None of your new stuff
>is as good as the first one".

Especially when they're talking about *Poems by Tom Holt*, which was his
first by about twelve years and which he would really much rather nobody
ever mentioned!  And they almost never mean *Lucia in Wartime*, they mean
*Expecting Someone Taller*, which was actually his fourth book.  Stickler
for accuracy, Tom.

This makes it ironic that he gets almost as peeved when one points out that
"From a far corner of the cell came the small, clear sound of a rat
vomiting" in *Overtime* isn't possible because (as he would have known if
he had read the wonderful *My Friend Mr. Leakey* by J.B.S. Haldane) rats
can't vomit.

In fact he *snarls* about that one, and demands payment in beer from the
nit-picking nuisance who has pointed it out.

In the same way, comics artists get unhappy if readers write in to point
out that the candle on the table in panel 3, page 14, Issue 12, isn't on
the table in panel 4, and then reappears in panel 6.  Obviously, they say
crossly, the landlord took it to light his cheroot, and then put it back
again...  this leads to mildly irritable replies in the letters column.

Minnow