[DWJ] Living Famously

Aimee Smith s4028253 at student.uq.edu.au
Sun Nov 20 20:38:38 EST 2005

I don't have any huge claims to fame, unless you count that I have
Isobelle Carmody's Australian mailing address (she lives half the year
in Prague) and her permission to write to her about my now
not-happening honours thesis on the role of houses in fantasy. What's
bad is that I haven't had the time or guts to write to her yet. I will
though, soon. Anyone know what kinds of letters Authors take notice of?
One thing I'd love to do with many authors is just to sit down and have
a good decent chat about writing and imagining - or (how cool would
this be?) a brainstorming-the-imaginations session, where you strike
sparks off each other and have fun with ideas. I guess everyone wants
to do that. Problem with the good writers is that they're kind of hard
to get at like that, and there's not enough of them to go around...
Anyway. I told Neil Gaiman when he was in Brisbane about my
hypothetical honours thesis, and he said to (and I did) send him an
email via his website about it, but I've got no reply. I do understand
he's a very busy man, so I just read his blog instead and hope he read
it.

Oh, and completely out of the world of writers, I once bought silver
jewellery from a silversmith in rural Queensland who reported
cryptically that she'd just been in Denmark, but couldn't tell anyone
about why she was there. Years ago she was the one who made Princess
Beatrice's silver christening spoon. It was at about the time when
there were rumours that Princess Mary was pregnant. Whisperwhisper.

Heheh.
Aimee.