[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Sat Nov 19 13:44:38 EST 2005

Colin Fine expostulated:

>minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:
>>Storm Constantine was incredibly kind to me at my very first Novacon, when
>>I was a poor little creature who knew nobody at the entire convention, or
>>that was how I felt.
[snip]

>You, a poor little creature who knew nobody? Don't believe you. You know
>EVrybody.

Yeah, sure, but the question is whether they know me: nobody said "hello".
The only people at that point in the con (Friday afternoon) that I could've
talked with were the tech crew, and they were a trifle absorbed in set-up.
I swear there wasn't a soul in the bar I'ld've recognised if I had seen him
or her in a non-con setting.  There wasn't even anyone I'ld've deliberately
Not Known.

>>My test for whether I know an author well or not would be, not whether I
>>would feel able to go up and say hello to them, but whether they would come
>>up and say "hello" to me by name if they saw me on a main-line railway
>>station waiting for a train.  As it were.
>I once walked into Ian Watson's local (with malice aforethought), and
>was gratified to be greeted by "Colin! It's not possible for you to be
>here!"

Sniggle!

My favourite of those is the account of an occasion when Gytha North was
standing in a cinema queue somewhere like Leicester Square, and someone
bounced up and said "Gytha!  How lovely to see you!" and started talking,
and she'd no idea who it was (no badge, you see, not like a con).  Someone
with her eventually helped her out by whispering that it was Harry
Harrison.

>Oh, and I was, in a manner of speaking, the model for You Bastard.

I don't think I have ever heard you say "humph".

Minnow