[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

Colin Fine colin at kindness.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 19 12:03:45 EST 2005

minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

>Storm Constantine was incredibly kind to me at my very first Novacon, when
>I was a poor little creature who knew nobody at the entire convention, or
>that was how I felt.  I'd met her for an afternoon about six months before,
>and she saw me sitting alone in the bar and probably looking rather lost,
>so she simply swept me up into her Guest Of Honour bubble and introduced me
>to everyone she encountered for an hour or so, with the result that all of
>fandom assumed I was Terribly Important and talked with me thereafter.  It
>is my considered opinion that she's a darling -- I'm not the only one she's
>done that sort of thing for, I've watched on other occasions when she
>looked after a lame duck until it felt more secure on its feet.  (That's in
>no way to suggest she was doing that for you; hanging out with is different
>from being taken under the wing of.  I just like Storm and wanted to share
>the reason I do.  She's great-hearted.)

You, a poor little creature who knew nobody? Don't believe you. You know
EVrybody.

>My test for whether I know an author well or not would be, not whether I
>would feel able to go up and say hello to them, but whether they would come
>up and say "hello" to me by name if they saw me on a main-line railway
>station waiting for a train.  As it were.

I once walked into Ian Watson's local (with malice aforethought), and
was gratified to be greeted by "Colin! It's not possible for you to be
here!"

Oh, and I was, in a manner of speaking, the model for You Bastard.

Colin