[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 06:21:56 EST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 minnow at belfry.org.uk wrote:

> I have a feeling he'd be delighted to know that whilst looking up
> "rubric" to try to make sure that he really meant it, I tripped over
> the word "rund", defined as "Same as *roon*" by the estimable folk
> at Chambers.  I bet *nobody* here knows what that/those mean[s]
> without looking in Chambers for themselves!

Well, I certainly didn't.

I've just got around to checking my two usual dictionaries:

The desk dictionary at home (199? Concise Oxford) has neither word.

dictionary.com (in this case, chanelling 199? Webster's) has "roon"
(but not "rund"), quoting from an unspecified poem by a poet who died
in 1820.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."