[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Wed Nov 16 19:04:58 EST 2005

Dorian wrote:

>I have the 1993 New Shorter OED.  It knows "rund" but not "roon".  Whether
>it's the same "rund" it knows as the one you meant, I have no idea.

This is seriously strange.  I have just been able to check a 1999 S.O.D.,
and that knows "roon" but not "rund"!  I'm very surprised that they have
*added* a word I have never ever met in use anywhere, having not put it in
the earlier editions: has it become a critical term or something, I wonder,
so they are putting in the original meaning but not bothering to say "By
extension, critical term meaning ...."

aaaaargh!

They are doing it on purpose to confuse me.

(What, me?  Paranoid?  Are you trying to upset me or something?)

If the rund you met is the roon I found, then it has the meaning given in
Chambers.  I prefer the ideas members of the list have had, though.

Thanks for the reassurance about Neil not being too shattered by the time
he got to Dublin.  Last time I was driving him during one of these signing
marathons he slept in the car all the way from Bristol to London, he stays
up all night writing blogs, it can't be good for him....   I worry about
the boy, he should eat right, I make him chicken soup but does he drink it?
In this weather I just hope he's wearing a vest under that teeshirt, I
must have told him often enough, wool next to the skin, but does he listen?
:-)

Minnow