[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Wed Nov 16 06:35:28 EST 2005

>>>Dorian (who met Neil Gaiman earlier this evening).
>>Ros: Ooh, I met him in July this year when he was here.

And I have sneakily been plotting for two years to have him over for dinner
someday. This has involved ingratiating ourselves with the people who
organize science fiction conventions in Israel, by inviting THEM to dinner;
and then attempting to establish a tradition whereby all guest-of-honor
authors at the conventions get invited to our house for dinner. All an
elaborate plot, devised after I found out that Gaiman was the invited guest
for 2006. The downside is that until he comes we keep having to entertain
and tolerate the company of a really nice bunch of people who share our
interests, and I have put up with my husband cooking vast quantities of
delicious food; this year we had to have Tim Powers over with his wife
Serena, and they had the temerity to stay until almost 2 am, just because
everyone was having a good time. Some people. But it's a price we're willing
to pay.

ObDWJ - I would LOVE to have Diana Wynne Jones over. She'd be a welcome
guest in Israel, her books are doing well and she is well reviewed; I
occasionally get people asking me if I'm ever going to translate another one
of her books, so I know there are several real fans. It would be a cinch to
arrange an all expenses trip. I'm not in a position to do the actual
inviting, but I know the people who are, should a certain author show the
least inclination of braving her travel jinx and travelling to a land which
is too frequently in the news.

Gili