[DWJ] New edition of Neverwhere

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Nov 15 17:38:20 EST 2005

Minnow said...

> I have a feeling he'd be delighted to know that whilst looking up "rubric"
> to try to make sure that he really meant it, I tripped over the word
> "rund", defined as "Same as *roon*" by the estimable folk at Chambers.  I
> bet *nobody* here knows what that/those mean[s] without looking in
> Chambers
> for themselves!  Does anyone feel like playing "My Word" with it and
> providing plausible possibilities?

Okay, I'll play.

They're both archaic past tense forms of the verb "to rue"; "rund" being
Scottish and "roon" being Irish.  Both are specifically and almost
exclusively used in the phrase "to rue the day".

(Shall go and look up the OED in a minute...)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian (who met Neil Gaiman earlier this evening).
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net
www.livejournal.com/users/dorianegray

"Worst fears realised darling Seth and Rueben too send gumboots."
- Stella Gibbons, "Cold Comfort Farm"