OT Dr. Who

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Tue May 31 21:08:19 EDT 2005

I'm really loving this Dr Who. I like how it is
totally modern yet consistent with the old or
classic Dr Who. Proves what a well wrought
concept it was in the first place.

Aimee

Paul, I think I agree. Running time worries me
(as far as one can
really 'worry' about a tv show... I'll get over
it), though the next
episodes might go better. Apparently episode 9 is
a terrifying one - to
adults as well as children. This series is
reminiscent of Buffy, isn't
it? And it was deliberate, they said it on some
doco I saw. Trying to
get the same mix of emotion and humour.>

Aimee, and others who haven't seen many episodes
yet, the other way it is similar to Buffy and
other modern shows is that it has storyline
threads that run through multiple episodes and
indeed appears to be building a story arc which
will take in more than one series even. Thus the
single or paired 45 minute stories do not work
inthe same way as the old more contained four six
twelve etc episode stories did. Characters,
places and themes recur.

Mild spoilers

One of the ways in which this Dr Who differs is
that it contianually returns to Rose's london and
her family and (exish) boyfriend are recurring
characters , so, for the first time, we look at
the people a companion is leaving behind. What's
more the Doctor has an ongoing relationship with
them -- and very exasperating eh finds it too!

And, yes, episodes eight and 9 are really really
scary on a psychological level going for soe very
deep fears. Like the dementors in harry potter it
might even be more scary from the perspective of
an adult...............

from Minnow's post, sorry i've lost track of who
said the first paragraph:
Is he officially described as "gurning", or is it

just that Armando
Somebody-Suddenly-Famous (whom I can't spell
reliably) decided to use that
word about whatever the new Doctor's name is's
facial expressions so often
that everyone went along with it?

"Gurning" is better spelt "girning", by the way,
because it comes from
"girn", which is an ME variant of "grin".

Heh, Minnow, surely vowel changes are
inconsequentual in the history of the English
language insofar as inconsistency is surely the
norm? Another data point: according to my
Rochdale friends "gurning" may also refer to
sounds, specifically moaning and groaning,
particularly the whiny sing song variety peculiar
to mopey alsatian dogs (or even bitches, since in
both cases the gurning dogs were female).

www.matthewman.net/archiv...unting.php

Ven