Minnow and the BBC weathermap

Verity Cinnabar cen at shareable.org
Tue May 31 14:15:42 EDT 2005

> Not having seen it I am handicapped, but the picture of it in the paper
> looked as if one were in a high-altitude balloon somewhere just in France,
> which would tend to make the south of the country be rather
> disproportionately large.

_The Times_ had printed letters to this effect within a day of the first
broadcast. I have not yet upgraded my TV from an old B&W set (cue regular
letters to me from the Licensing Authority asking if they can come round
and see if I really do live in the Dark Ages... obviously, I don't use it
enough for them to be able to check with a local wave oscillation detector,
or maybe they think I'm just sliding all the colour knobs to the bottom of
their range rather than owning a real B&W set), and it's incredibly difficult
to see the subtle contrasts on that. It looked more obvious on the Union's
giant colour set, although it took them a while to make the rain-slants whitish
instead of the same blue as the rain-blobs.

> What I want to know is, why did they fix it?

The obvious answer seems to be "because it wasn't broken".

> Is he officially described as "gurning", or is it just that Armando
> Somebody-Suddenly-Famous (whom I can't spell reliably) decided to use that
> word about whatever the new Doctor's name is's facial expressions so often
> that everyone went along with it?

Is Armando not Official enough? Other people on his unfortunately-named
Radio Four show were also saying it...

> "Gurning" is better spelt "girning", by the way, because it comes from
> "girn", which is an ME variant of "grin".

But the National Championship spells it with a "u", presumably because the
event organisers can then own the term? So if you love Official variants...

VC