OT: Dr Who

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Sun May 29 14:23:37 EDT 2005

Minnow:

> [Charlie, why do you suppose that either your machine or mine has decided
> this post is spam? I think it must be yours, since mine has never before
> suddenly added that word to a subject-line for no apparent reason. Did
> everyone else get what now presumably appears above, "Re: *** SPAM *** Re:
> Re:" tacked onto the front?]

My fault! My ISP's overenthusiastic filters put that label on more or less at random, as far as I can see. Sorry - I'll try to be a bit more diligent in stripping them out.

Minnow:
> Some horrendously high proportion of the population of England lives within
> a fifty mile radius of Marble Arch. Given true PR, a majority of MPs would
> be representing Southerners. I therefore can't be entirely sure that
> seeing the country as having more stuff going on in the south is a skewed
> accurate.

Granted, but isn't this a case of a chicken and egg marching round in a vicious circle while making self-fulfilling prophecies? Those extra people weren't attracted to the London area because they thrilled to prospect of paying exorbitant property prices. They came because of the very skewing of power, prestige and money that I mentioned - and which, admittedly, their presence perpetuates and amplifies. The process has been trundling along since the 14th century or so, but seems to have speeded up noticeably in my lifetime.

Minnow:
>> What quintessentially Northern characteristics does this Doctor have? The
>> voice, and the gurning (a Northern word). He's not a corrective so much as
>> a new vehicle for stereotype.
>You seem to be complaining both that the Doctor lacks quintessential
>northern characteristics (whatever they are), and that he's a northern
>stereotype. I don't get it.

>I think, though I could be wrong, that the complaint is that the stereotype
presented is not particularly favourable, and therefore doesn't correct
other unfavourable stereotypes.

That could be - I just don't see Eccleston as a northern stereotype, particularly ('By 'eck, Rose, those Daleks are rum'uns, but we fettled 'em. Now pass us me ferret and put t'kettle on.') Unless having a northern accent is enough in itself? But that would be just silly.  As for the girning, it may be a northern word, but it's not a stereotypically northern activity, afaik.

Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/