Conrad's Fate

deborah deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sun May 29 10:14:29 EDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Aimee Smith wrote:
|By acting as this ‘third person viewer’, always trailing in the wake of
|Christopher’s proactivity and witness to things going on, Conrad seems
|to echo his role in the house as the servant who should be unseen and
|unheard

I love this analysis.  It seems not to have been true for multiple
people in the list, but this does mirror my reading experience, and it's
a wonderful comparison between Conrad and the expected serving role.

|echoing the theme of servanthood and invisibility
|in the novel. All the while completely maintaining integrity with what
|is going on in the novel itself in terms of character and events.

Another comparison which occurs to me is Christopher's vagueness in The
Lives of Christopher Chant.  On a first or casual reading I don't see
him as vague.  He is the narrative voice, the focalizer through whom the
events of the story play out.  Since I incorporate his biases, his
vagueness only comes through to me on a careful reading.  (I'm getting
shades of our long ago conversation about Megan Whelan Turner and
whether or not she cheats in character presentation in The Thief and
Queen of Attolia.)

-deborah
--
"`I am that merry wanderer of the night'?  I am that giggling-dangerous-
totally-bloody-psychotic-menace-to-life-and-limb, more like it."