OT: Dr Who

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Sun May 29 02:56:42 EDT 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 12:34:15AM +0100, Minnow wrote:
>[Charlie, why do you suppose that either your machine or mine has decided
>this post is spam?  I think it must be yours, since mine has never before
>suddenly added that word to a subject-line for no apparent reason.  Did
>everyone else get what now presumably appears above, "Re: *** SPAM *** Re:
>Re:" tacked onto the front?]

I've seen it thrice this year, the first two in posts from Charlie and
the other in this one from you. I'm stripping it (and some superfluous
Re:s) from this reply.

>I thought the complaint about the weather-map was literally to do with its
>perspective, not with its bias nor with anyone's accent, anyhow.

Some people are able to make a cultural insult out of anything. In this
case, information about weather in the north of the country is no
longer available; this should be considered a bad thing in itself, not
because subnational pride has been damaged.

>Not
>having seen it I am handicapped, but the picture of it in the paper looked
>as if one were in a high-altitude balloon somewhere just in France, which
>would tend to make the south of the country be rather disproportionately
>large.

They've messed about with the web site as well. The old map was at a
fixed URL, and one could look at it from any graphical HTTP client
(including mobile phones and so on); there were also about seven
different maps for different parts of the country. The new one, as well
as being distorted, has only one map for the whole country, and only
works with that well-known security hole Javascript activated.

The BBC has chosen to stop providing a weather map I can use, in other
words.

Fortunately for me, I don't pay a licence fee anyway (no television),
and the Americans are still collating and publishing the weather
reports and forecasts from airports around the world. I am working on a
system for generating my own maps, using this publicly-available
information. Does anyone have an algorithm for generating isobars from
point data?

>What I want to know is, why did they fix it?

I think that's "improve".