OT Dr. Who

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun May 29 02:00:48 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 liril at gmx.net wrote:

> I've never seen an episode of Dr. Who. I've decided to change that,
> but which should I chose?
>
> My DVD shop has:
> DR WHO-DALEKS
> DR WHO-CARNIVAL OF MONSTERS
> DR WHO-CLAWS OF AXOS
> DR WHO-HORROR OF FANG ROCK
> DR WHO-ROBOTS OF DEATH
> DR WHO-SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE
> DR WHO-THE AZTECS
> DR WHO-THE FIVE DOCTORS
> DR WHO-THE GREEN DEATH
>
> What do you think? Is any actor to be especially recommended? Or to
> be avoided? The titles sound smashing, all of them.

'The Five Doctors', being the 20th anniversary reunion special, is
probably right out as a first story.

'Claws of Axos' also is specifically disrecommended, partly because it
too relies on you having seen other earlier stories, but mostly
because it's not very good.

'The Daleks' is probably obligatory viewing for any serious course of
what-am-I-missing, for obvious reasons, but not necessarily to begin
with.

I would recommend either 'Robots of Death' or 'The Aztecs'.

'The Aztecs' is from the show's very first season, and is arguably
the best surviving HAWNBA[1]. 'Robots of Death' is from the show's
best known era, The One With That Guy With The Scarf, and is a
science-fictional take on the English country house murder mystery[2].

----
[1] A type of story that was done quite often in the first four
seasons, when the production team still occasionally felt obliged to
be educational, and never since: Historical Adventure with No Aliens.

[2] As the title makes clear, the butler did it: but since everyone
knows robots don't kill people, someone must have made the butler do
it...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."