OT: Dr Who

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 28 05:42:24 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005, Aimee Smith wrote:

> This series is reminiscent of Buffy, isn't it? And it was
> deliberate, they said it on some doco I saw. Trying to get the same
> mix of emotion and humour.

I hope getting the same mix of emotion doesn't entail getting everyone
in the regular cast to fall in love with everyone else, the way it
happened in Buffy...  :P

> Can you tell me which Romana Tom Baker married? Different people say
> different things.

It was, as several people have said already, Lalla Ward, who, as
several people have also said, went on to marry Richard Dawkins.

I don't think anyone's mentioned yet that she and Dawkins met at a
party (possibly in Islington) hosted by Douglas Adams.

> The future Doctor is Scottish too, which surprised me. Has there
> been a non-English Doctor before?

There have been two accented Doctors to date: Christopher Eccleston,
of course, and his predecessor but one, Sylvester McCoy.

McCoy's Doctor was quite audibly Scottish, but nobody seemed to
notice. I should say, nobody *on screen* - even the characters who'd
known previous Doctors - but some of the fans were quite upset, as
some of the fans always are.

(Paul McGann and Tom Baker are both Liverpudlian, but neither used the
accent in character; and the remaining five are Londoners.)

> What else has this guy been in?

The new chap? Lots of stage work, including a lot of Shakespeare. Some
TV stuff I haven't seen - the press seem unduly interested in the fact
that he most recently appeared on British screens as Casanova. A stack
of Big Finish audios (including some of the Doctor Who ones); a part I
can't even remember in 'Scream of the Shalka'...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0855039/

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."