Conrad's Fate

minnow at belfry.org.uk minnow at belfry.org.uk
Fri May 27 09:39:05 EDT 2005

I wrote:

>> My problem with this book is very simple: I keep calling it *Conrad's
>> Castle* (does anyone else remember that excellent picture-book for
>> younger
>> children? and if they do can they tell me who wrote/drew it and
>> whether it
>> was as I suppose the same person who did *Where the Wild Things Are*,
>> Maurice wossit, and what *his* name was if he isn't the same person?)
>> and
>> sooner or later I am going to get turned into something unnatural with
>> too
>> many legs for doing this.
>
>Ben Shechter wrote "Conrad's Castle" according to Amazon.co.uk.  It's
>not
>in print.
>
>Maurice Sendak did "Where the Wild Things Are".

My thanks to all who gave me this information.  Now I need to find a copy
of *Conrad's Castle* so that DWJ doesn't arise up in her monolithic might
and slay me for miscalling her latest work: if I can prove that my constant
slips in the matter are based on a real text, she may allow me to live.  At
the moment she doesn't really believe it exists.

I'd like to have it anyway, because as I remember it Conrad was a fine and
determined stubborn cuss impossible to deflect from his purpose however
impossible, and not enough books for small children have the message that
aspiring outside the reasonable  is reasonable.

Minnow