Conrad's Fate

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 27 01:41:45 EDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Aimee Smith wrote:

> And of course, the OT bait I had to dangle: How did you find Dr Who
> the other night?

I turned on the television, and there it was. (ba-doom tish!)

Actually, I quite liked it, but I'm worried that the running time will
be bad for storytelling. Many shows manage with an-hour-including-ads,
of course, but they don't have to spend time on introducing a new
world and supporting cast every week. And this first episode - even
though they didn't have to spend time introducing the world, and even
though they effectively started half-way through - still felt like
they'd left bits of the plot out to make it fit.

I'm also a bit dubious about Christopher Eccleston's performance as
the Doctor, although I'm not sure how much of that is him and how much
was the director of the one episode I've seen so far.

> Who's your favourite doc, why, and which sideckick? Which baddies?

I'm not sure, except that I find that with further acquaintance Tom
Baker is doing whatever the opposite is of growing on me.

> I'm told the current reruns (
-snip-
> )

What happened to the rest of the sentence after the parenthetical
comment there?  :)

> It's a wonderful script for one-liners, too, this one.

It was actually co-written, uncredited, by Douglas Adams. If you're a
fan of his novels, the plot will start to look familiar as the story
progresses, too.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."