bees

hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk hannibal at thegates.fsbusiness.co.uk
Thu May 19 14:02:02 EDT 2005

I was hoping to be able to trace this custom back as far as my namesake and (I like to imagine) ancestor Charles Butler, author of the Feminine Monarchie (1609). I haven't quite managed that, but Google has given me this at least: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/eng/osc/osc69.htm. From another site, there's this charming snippet:

"Beliefs associated with bees go back to Hellenistic Greece and before where they were understood to be related to and a manifestation of the muse from which comes the bees alter identity of the muse's bird. And, the practice of telling of the bees of important events in the lives of the family has been for hundreds of years a widely observed practice and, although it varies somewhat among peoples, it is invariably a most elaborate ceremonial. The procedure is that as soon as a member of the family has breathed his or her last a younger member of the household, often a child, is told to visit the hives. and rattling a chain of small keys taps on the hive and whispers three times:

Little Brownies, little brownies, your mistress is dead.
Little Brownies, little brownies, your mistress is dead.
Little Brownies, little brownies, your mistress is dead.

A piece of funeral crepe is then tied to the hive and after a period of time funeral sweets are brought to the hives for the bees to feed upon. The bees are then invariably invited to the funeral and have on a number of recorded occasions seen fit to attend."

Charlie

--

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/